Harvard Medical School video about sleep apnea with Shaquille O’Neal
- The Sleep Research Society is an organization for scientific investigators who investigate sleep and sleep-related disorders.
- The American Academy of Sleep Medicine is dedicated exclusively to the medical subspecialty of sleep medicine. The AASM sets standards and promotes excellence in sleep medicine health care, education and research.
- The National Sleep Foundation is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving health and well-being through sleep education and advocacy. It is well-known for its annual Sleep in America® poll. Their website sleep.org provides tips and information for obtaining healthy sleep.
- The Society of Behavioral Sleep Medicine is an interdisciplinary organization committed to advancing the scientific approach to studying the behavioral, psychological, and physiological dimensions of sleep and sleep disorders and the application of this knowledge to the betterment of individuals and societies worldwide.
- The America College of Physicians recently made a consensus statement recommending psychological treatment as the initial treatment for insomnia, as opposed to medication treatment.
|“Silence is the sleep that nourishes wisdom.”
- Francis Bacon
- Many organizations support the study and practice of aging. The Gerontological Society of America is focused on research, education and practice in the field of aging. GSA’s principal mission is to advance the study of aging and disseminate information among scientists, decision makers and the general public.
- Within the American Psychological Association, Division 12, Section II, the Society of Clinical Geropsychology is devoted to research, training and the provision of psychological services for older adults (i.e., geropsychology). APA Division 20, the Division on Adult Development and Aging focuses on the study of psychological development and change throughout the adult years.
- The National Institute on Aging is one of the 27 Institutes and Centers of NIH. The NIA leads a broad scientific effort to understand the nature of aging and to extend the healthy, active years of life. NIA is the primary federal agency supporting and conducting Alzheimer’s disease research.
- GeroCentral is a collaborative effort between the Society of Clinical Geropsychology and the Division on Adult Development and Aging, along with the Council of Professional Geropsychology Training Programs, Psychologists in Long Term Care and the APA Committee on Aging to bring together available resources for geropsychology training, service provision, policy and research, including online assessment of geropsychology competencies, in a central Internet location
|“Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.”
- Multiple Sources
Clinical Psychology Resources
- The American Psychological Association’s Division 12 is home to the Society of Clinical Psychology. The Society's mission is to encourage and support the integration of psychological science and practice in education, research, application, advocacy and public policy, attending to the importance of diversity.
- The Society of Clinical Psychology maintains an active database to help consumers conduct a therapist search.
|“Age has taught me that what other people think of me is none of my business.”
- Jane Tara